Pages

Saturday 6 March 2021

Parihaka, Tim Finn & The Herbs

 Hello everybody!!!, Welcome to my blog.

today for my blog I am writing about the song that my class listened to. Called Parihaka, by Tim Finn & The Herbs. This is a song that was written about Parihaka that happened 140 years ago. And I have to answer the questions about the song I listened to and about what happened in Parihaka, and what is the meaning behind it. 

What is the main message of this song?

The main message for this song is to stay peaceful during the tuff time during the time that happened in Parihaka.


What line explains their passive resistance method?


I know Te Whiti will never be defeated,

And even at the darkest hour,

His presence will remain.

I'll sing to you the song of Parihaka.


What does ‘you can’t pull out the roots’ refer to?

This means that you aren't allowed to pull them out or touch them or they will take your home away if it happens.

How does this song show the significance of Parihaka?


They were trying the get an understanding to others about the hidden message they have put in the song

and to let people know.


What makes an event Significant?


It inspired the other leader around the like Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King about the passive resistance.


How many people were affected?


It affected 100 people especially the people in the village.





Parihaka by Tim Finn   Original Soundtrack      

 

My friend, My friend, I hate to see you suffer,

Events conspire to bring us to our knees,

My friend, my friend, you've taken this the wrong way, 

Rise up, defend yourself, never give in,

Look to the sky, the spirit of Te Whiti,

The endless tide is murmuring his name. 


I know Te Whiti will never be defeated,

And even at the darkest hour,

His presence will remain.

I'll sing to you the song of Parihaka.


Te Whiti he used the language of the spirit,

Then stood accused, the madman and his dream,

He saw the train go roaring through the tunnel,

He heard the voice travel on the magic wire,

But he loved the silence of the river,

He watched the dog piss on the cannon's wheel.


I know Te Whiti will never be defeated,

And even at the darkest hour,

His presence will remain.

I'll sing to you the song of Parihaka.


One day you'll know the truth,

They can't pull out the roots,

Come and take me home,

To weep for my lost brother.

They gather still, the clouds of Taranaki,

His children's children wearing the white plume,

So take me for the sins of these sad islands,

The wave still breaks on the rock of Rouhotu.

And when you taste the salt that's on your pudding,

And when you taste the sugar in your soup,

Think of Te Whiti, he'll never be defeated,

Even at the darkest hour,

His presence will remain,

I'll sing for you the song of Parihaka,

Come to Parihaka,

Weep for my lost brother,

The spirit of nonviolence,

Has come to fill the silence, Come to Parihaka.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.